Director of Marketing / Business Development
“City Beautiful: Then and Now” – Doors Open Denver 2013 starts this week (April 13-14) and we couldn’t be prouder. SLATERPAULL Architects has 7 projects that have been identified as part of the guided tours this year (out of 66). They include: East High School, The Molkery, the McNichols Building, Cheesman Pavilion, Civic Center Park (including the Greek Theater and Voorhees Memorial), the City and County Building and the Mountain State Telephone and Telegraph Company Building, aka 931 Building.
For more information, please check out our project bios below, as well as visit www.HistoricDenver.org.
The Molkery was originally constructed in 1888 as a hotel and dairy restaurant by the real estate developer Baron Von Richtofen. The building was the first commercial structure built in the town of Montclair. Prior to its purchase in 1908 by the City of Denver, the three-story building served many purposes including a sanitarium and insane asylum. During the early 1900s it was remodeled as a community center, one of Denver’s first. In 1973 the building was designated a Denver Landmark.
The exterior restoration of the building included opening up the exterior porch and reconstruction of the south stair. The historic cupola and masonry chimneys were also reconstructed to their 1909 appearance. Original wood windows were rehabilitated and are now fully operational. ADA accessibility was a key issue and was accomplished with the sensitive addition of a ramp from the entry along the west elevation to the enclosed porch and ADA toilet facilities which were added inside the building.
EAST HIGH SCHOOL:
East High School is located in Denver and is a Nationally Registered building as well as a Denver Historic Landmark. It opened in its current location in 1925 and was part of Denver’s City Beautiful campaign. East High School was designed by George Hebard Williamson who graduated from the “old” East High in 1893. It is constructed of red brick and terra cotta and reaches 162 feet at its highest point.
Projects included the replacement of the building’s wood windows, interior renovation, roofing and waterproofing replacement, and masonry rehabilitation.
McNichols Civic Center Building was originally constructed in 1906-09 as the City’s first central library. SLATERPAULL was first charged to solve a number of roofing and related water intrusion problems experienced in the building. Phase I of the project included the complete replacement of an existing copper batten standing seam roofing and interior gutter system, which was severely damaged in a hail storm in 1990. Phase II addressed the deterioration of the sandstone cornice which had been taking place over an extended period due to water intrusion through the head joints in the cornice. Phase III was the preliminary conversion of the building into a showcase for the Biennial of the Americas exhibition and consisted primarily of the removal of non-historic features to return the building to its former dignity.
SLATERPAULL Architects completed a Historic Structure Assessment in 2000.
The Cheesman Park Pavilion was constructed in 1909 as a memorial to Walter S. Cheesman. The pavilion was designed as an icon of the park in a neoclassical style. Constructed of Colorado Yule Marble, the pavilion originally sat on a large concrete platform. The site was modified in the early 1970s to roughly its current condition.
In 2002, SLATERPAULL Architects completed a rehabilitation project at the pavilion. This project included comprehensive plaster repair, done in accordance with The Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Preservation. SLATERPAULL Architects completed a historic structure assessment for the pavilion in February of 2009, followed shortly thereafter by a roof replacement project. In 2010, SLATERPAULL Architects completed design and construction administration for rehabilitation of the masonry.
CIVIC CENTER PARK:
In 2010 SLATERPAULL ARCHITECTS worked closely with the design-build team contractor and structural engineer to create an aesthetically pleasing and appropriate temporary enclosure for both the Greek Theater and the Voorhies Memorial prominently located in Civic Center Park. This enclosure system was easily moveable, provided the required protection and withstood winter storms. The banners from the enclosure were prominently displayed and used as a fundraiser after the project.
In addition to the unique enclosure used for Phase I masonry restoration work, Phase II of the project included rehabilitation work at the existing seal fountain, including a new vault for equipment, masonry rehabilitation at the balustrade wall, the installation of new exterior lighting at the memorials, rehabilitation of the Emily Griffith memorial drinking fountain, and rehabilitation of the sidewalk pavers and concrete.
CITY AND COUNTY BUILDING:
Construction of Denver’s City and County Building began in 1929 and was completed three years later in 1932. The 450,000-squarefoot building was designed by the Allied Architects Association, a group of 39 local Denver architects led by national architect George Koyle.
The modified Roman architectural style building features an exterior of Colorado and Georgia granites and interior corridors clad with Colorado travertine. On the second floor, columns of Colorado travertine measuring 19 feet high are reported to be the largest solid travertine columns in the United States. The Bell Tower features a bronze gold-plated eagle measuring six feet high, and a clock with chimes donated by the wife of the late Mayor Robert W. Speer.
There have been various independent projects completed, from small-scale restoration efforts to significant large-scale building-wide renovations. SLATERPAULL has worked continuously on projects at the City and County Building for nearly ten years. Most recently, SLATERPAULL worked with the City and County of Denver to complete restoration of the exterior masonry.